Tuesday, February 28, 2006

swap bag, dpns and Lent (but I'm not Catholic)

SO I keep looking at Crochetville to see when the lady who is supposed to sending me my purse in the Bright & Breezy Spring Tote/Purse Swap has sent it. No luck yet. Rules say they need to be posted by 3/5 to be to the recipient by 3/15 but I have the patience of a, um, REALLY not patient person. So every day (more than once because on this i am a bit ocd) I go to the c'ville site and look to see the list to see if mine is colored red (for sent) then go the end of the messages to see if MAYBE the swap boss has just forgotten to color mine and there is actually a message saying it's been sent. I know, I have problems. BUT, I still have 3 more days.
Patience is a Virtue.
Patience is a Virtue.
Patience is a Virtue.
Blahblah blah blah blahblah.

I got to a point last night where I CANNOT continue on my had on the circs i'm using. Physics is not on my side in this. So this morning I had to go to the doc to find out whats up with my painful hip (still no answer, waiting on xrays) and took a half day. On the way to the office I made 2 very important stops. One to Smoothie King (mmmmm, smoothie) and two to Michaels to get some dpns.

Now Michaels is a craft store, FULL of all manner of craftiness. I buy a lot of things from Michaels, flowers for my wedding, snap models for my 4 yr old, yarn, scrapbook stuff (well, when I had time to scrapbook I bought scrapbook stuff)(it's been awhile), ribbon, painting stuff (see scrapbook stuff), crochet patterns & hooks. I expect them to have a variety of crochet/knitting notions available. Not so. I went in looking for size 10 1/2 dpns of the cheap variety. I look with the knitting needles - they have 2 sets of dpns by boye - size 3 & size 6. NOT 10 1/2. They have a wall of yarn that is longer than my HOUSE! But no metal dpns in anything larger than a 6. UGH!!! I had to spend $9.09 on a set of Clover dpns. $9.09!!!!! But at least I got them and I will be able to finish up my hat at lunch time. Now if I can borrow Patty's pack of cigarettes to make my poofy thing, i'll be set.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. I was born and raised Catholic but we kinda, um, lapsed when I was about 15. I had never really did the Lent thing when I was young, that I can remember anyway.

But now, I do. I give up something difficult and no meat on Friday's. And I always make tuna steak on Good Friday. I have done this for about 8 or 9 years. Why? I am not Catholic. I am just a follower. The gal that was my maid of honor - Bridget is Catholic. She gives up french fries. I am a follower - I too gave up french fries. And the year after that and the year after that I also gave up french fries.

Now I am a Christian. Christians (of the non-Catholic variety) dont celebrate Lent. Did I follow this? NNNNOOOOO. I am determined in my followerness. And now I justify by actually using it for what it is for - To teach me to have a sacraficial heart and to remind me of my faith. Last year I gave up Taco Bell. That was the LONGEST 40 days of my LIFE!!!!! Monday after Easter I had Taco Bell. Tuesday after Easter, I had Taco Bell. Wednesday after Easter I had Taco Bell. Then I was tired of it for another week.

This year I am giving up Coke (as in cola not as in head). I brought some cherry 7UP into work today to have with my lunch tomorrow, and I have made a jug of tea to drink at home with dinner. This will be healthy for me, and it will be good practice for pregnancy when evil doctors say you can only have 1 can. This is MUCH more significant than giving up Taco Bell. In a good week I will eat Taco Bell once or twice. I usually drink 2 cokes a DAY!

See where this is harder? And, there is always coke in the fridge at work and at home for the others who drink it that are not giving it up for Lent. Starting to think of myself as doomed, we'll see how long I last. If I could i'd make one of those nifty little running calander things in my blog, but i'm not that good.

Oh well, fair thee well my darling coke. I will miss you. For 40 days and 1 minute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



      Member

Powered by Blogger