Saturday, March 11, 2006

adventures in dying part 2, and 3.

So i decided to do some more yarn, and took pictures this time. And I experimented with 2 different ways of doing it... with dramatically different results. This has a lot of pics, beware.

This is what I started with:










Then I soaked it warm water w/about 2 TBS vinegar:









While that was soaking I made a ziploc dye bath with a little bit of water (1/4 cup maybe) and some wilton icing paste. I used a toothpick, stirred up the paste and got as much as I could put on the toothpick - maybe 1/16 tsp, basically a few turns around with the toothpick. I wiped the toothpick in the bag of warm water and mushed it up together:









Then I squeezed out the water and stuffed the yarn in the bag and zipped it up. I mushed around the yarn and solution until it was all soaked.










This was where it got different. The first one I emptied the yarn into my spaghetti pot w/about 2 inches of water heating on med high. and brought it to a boil covered.










Then let it cool down to where i could handle it. i rinsed it out with cool water and hung it up to dry.


This process made barbie pink yarn.







The 2nd process was different, and actually the same way i did yesterday's batch.
While the yarn was in the solution I laid out some foil - about 2 feet or so, on top of that I laid the same amt of saran wrap. I soaked up as much solution as the yarn would hold, then i laid it on the saran and wrapped it up like a worm. Then I folded it into the foil the same way, making a snake, then a bun and put it in the pot with a couple inches of water and brought it to a boil.


Then I turned of the heat and left the cover on and let it cool down.






I used the same solution both times, same amt of water and dye but here's the difference.
This is the yarn from the foil way:

This isnt the best match of color, most of it is like that little purpley pink bit on the top, then the real bit on top is more pink.

I'll try to get a better pic later on to post on my etsy store.

Course it would help tremendously to have directions on how to do this, but I think i did pretty well. I like the colors, and was proud of how even the pink one came out. Oh, forgot - I added some salt to the water when it was coming to a boil for the one without the foil. I read somewhere that it would help the color dye evenly. Guess it worked.

Well, that's enough for now. Have a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



      Member

Powered by Blogger